Jurassic World Movie Film News

Jurassic World Hits Theaters In:

Directed by Colin Trevorrow and starring Chris Pratt, Bryce Dallas Howard, Ty Simpkins and Nick Robinson, Jurassic World will hit theaters June 12th, 2015.

Can T-rex swim?

Rex Fan 684

It's almost a guarantee that dinosaurs could swim to some degree. If they could not, then they would be different than every other terrestrial animal group. But what about Tyrannosaurus? With that big body and short arms, it's tempting to say that T-rex would not be a good swimmer. However, it did have powerful legs and a strong tail. Snakes, crocodiles/alligators, and other animals are great swimmers and they do not use their front legs, or legs at all. They found a way, why not T-rex? I don't think Tyrannosaurus could swim for long distances, but I don't believe it would be totally helpless in the water. All in all, Tyrannosaurus, and it's cousins, could probably swim short distances, probably not gracefully or anything, but swimming nonetheless.

swimming_theropod_by_cheungchungtat-d32z5by.jpg

*Theropod footprints have been found that show swimming behavior.

But what do you guys think? Could T-rex swim?

<p>"You make decisions. And you have to live with the consequenses."- Raleigh Becket, Pacific Rim</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

9 Replies

Mr.Happy9097

Like you said, for short distances. It wasn't going to be a better swimmer than Spinosaurs, but perhaps better than herbivores in the same time and place.

<p>Because we shouldn't have to.</p>
<p>Mystique</p>

Mr.Happy9097

I think the picture you used is an Allosaur, notice the 3 fingered hand?

<p>Mystique</p>

Makaveli7

Perhaps. If it was built like this, it would be a relatively poor swimmer but could swim if need be
T_rex_Greg_Paul01.png
Whereas one of this incredibly fanboyish build would be too heavy to swim.
tyrannosaurus_upper_limit_size_based_on_ucmp137538_by_gunz103-d5m9psf.jpg

Future Team Raptor member

futurepaleontologist1

I bet it could. It would be a challenge, but eventually it would have to swim

Pity is for the living. Envy is for the dead.
-Mark Twain

Batchpool

If you scale things down a bit, you will see that there is a strong similarity to a tadpole that is becoming a frog. So I think that it would be a great swimmer. Don't forget weight on land is different in water.

sig2_zpsa0a6d2e2.jpg

Rex Fan 684

I don't think the pic is a Rex either, but it's just an analogy. I think the swimming style would be similar to the one pictured.

<p>"You make decisions. And you have to live with the consequenses."- Raleigh Becket, Pacific Rim</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>

Mr.Happy9097

Probably

<p>Mystique</p>

Deltadromeus

It could swim extremely poorly. Swinging its tail is the only way I can think of it to swim. A d I think the muscle to water ratio is a lot like a gator's at 80 percent muscle and 20 percent water. It is super heavy too. Maybe it could swim.

Check out my Youtube channel http://.youtube.com/user/DinosaurwithRPG

Rex Fan 684

Don't forget, it had powerful back legs that could help propel it. I'm not saying that T-rex was an Olympic swimmer or anything, but perhaps better than what most people give it credit for.

<p>&nbsp;</p>
Username

Password

or Register an Account
Follow News on Jurassic World
Latest JP Fan Discussions
17 replies
Your Favorite T.rex Specimen

Aug-21-2014 8:32 AM

4 replies
Scarfaces story: Jurassic world chapter 3

Aug-21-2014 8:09 AM

28 replies
The Size of Stan

Aug-21-2014 7:06 AM

2 replies
Names for carchaodontosaurs

Aug-21-2014 5:51 AM

4 replies
Clash of the titans: fight for food

Aug-21-2014 5:30 AM

Latest Jurassic World Images
Jurassic Park Fan Ratio
Recent Status Updates
Rex Fan 684 There's a pattern here. Pacific Rim was running strong, then the movie came out and it slowed. Same with Godzilla. Now it's Jurassic World's turn
Gman2887 I swear this status box is omitting words I type...
Gman2887 It's kind of hard to run out of things to talk about with large of a cinema franchise.
Gman2887 But I don't think it will ever be fully dead. Godzilla is scified's biggest draw, with a 60 year history and 29 movies. (30 if we count '98.)
Gman2887 It usually doesn't kick in 'til around late afternoon when they get out of school it seems.
Gman2887 Yeah. That's normal. Most of these kids have gone back to school. Movie news has summered down.
GorillaGodzilla Gman ever notice that the forums have been well, slow for the past 3 days.
Part of the SciFied Fan Site Network
© 2012 - 2013 SciFied.com
Legal | Terms of Use